Countess Mountbatten House
Countess Mountbatten House (CMH) is a NHS hospice providing specialist palliative care services. The hospice serves a population in excess of 720, 000 in South Hampshire. The catchment area includes the greater Southampton area and surrounding localities including the Fareham, Gosport, Romsey and Winchester areas.
The CMH Education team was established in 1995. We provide a range of education and training in palliative and end of life care. This includes:
- education for health and social care staff from the acute hospital, the community setting and care homes
- education for undergraduate medical and nursing students
- in-house training for staff working within the CMH service
We comprise representatives from each of the clinical teams within CMH. This provides a multi-disciplinary approach to our education and ensures the education provided is grounded in current evidence-based practice.
A dedicated care home education team delivers education and support specifically to this care setting.
Our values and beliefs are:
- that high quality care of individuals living with life limiting conditions can only be delivered by staff who have received the appropriate education and training
- that we can support the delivery of excellent palliative and end of life care to individuals not receiving care directly from the hospice, by sharing our expertise with others
- That the fundamentals for the delivery of palliative and end of life care should be introduced early in professional training, i.e. undergraduate level. This should continue as part of life-long learning throughout the careers of health and social care professionals.